The Senior Accountant is responsible for the preparation, analyzing and completion of the monthly financial statements with assurance of accurate reporting of all investments and contributions both restricted and unrestricted. This position devotes 100% of work time to accounting functions and requires a familiarity with a variety of accounting concepts practices.
Embrace Opportunity Village core values by cultivating positive and meaningful CONNECTIONS with clients and colleagues, demonstrating ENTHUSIASM, high standards of PRODUCTIVITY, authentic STEWARDSHIP, and consistent participation in individual and team DEVELOPMENT. Reinforce and positively engage in Opportunity Village’s organizational culture supporting choice and creativity of clients and of staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain general ledger and ensures timely maintenance and reconciliation of accounts for multiple companies
- Research and reconcile all general ledger account discrepancies
- Reconciliation of intercompany transactions
- Daily and Monthly bank reconciliations of all companies accounts
- Ensure the month end closing process is timely and accurate including preparing and entering of journal entries
- Maintenance of fixed assets in system including acquisitions, disposals, transfers, depreciation and updates of assets and asset schedules
- Maintain Work In Progress schedules
- Assist in the preparing and analyzing monthly financial statements
- Respond to director’s and manager’s questions regarding financials
- Maintain and reconcile inventory sub-ledger and assist in booking adjustments as needed. Coordinate inventory counts with manager/director
- Assist in the development of policies and procedures for company related to accounting and financials of the company
- Assist and prepare information for annual financial audits
- Assist with annual operating and capital budgets
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Excellent ability to communicate effectively with individuals, co-workers and supervisors (verbal and written).
- Must possess social perceptiveness to assess and understand other’s reactions and behaviors.
- In-depth, solid foundation of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Experience with general ledger function and the month-end/year-end close processes
- Ability to care, respond and work with individuals with developmental disabilities
- Ability to identify, define problems and draw valid solutions
- Ability to interpret instructions, gain knowledge and have initiative
- Strong Excel skills including; Vlookup and Pivot Tables
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Required: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field.
- Required: Minimum 3 years of verifiable work experience in accounting/business related field.
- Required: Great Plains or similar ERP system experience preferred but not necessary
- Preferred: Experience with Non-profit Organizations
- Preferred: Experience working with individuals with disabilities.
PHYSICAL ABILITIES & WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and functions of the position. The list below of minimum essential functions is illustrative of the minimums only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed.
- Ability to lift and move boxes up to 40 pounds.
- Ability to sit at a computer for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to work in a typical office environment.
- Ability to tolerate stress.
- Ability to conduct tasks and successfully perform under critical deadlines.
- Manual dexterity to operate office equipment and examine documents, records and files.
- Ability to pass pre-employment background and drug test